Saturday, August 20, 2011

Episode 2 Blue Velvet Cupcake

YES> PICTURES!  




I didn't post too many pictures in the last blog because frankly, they are all over the website! This little concoction was a task, let me tell you...  The directions are misleading, because the recipe calls for the creation of a curd filling- which you have to apparently leave covered overnight in a fridge... (Which still didn't quite work for me). Also, no matter what you see on cupcake wars-  putting your cupcakes in the fridge right away makes them a little bit harder than you may want them... Luckily, you love me and won't hate on me for not knowing how to whisk something, right? Yeah, I know. You could probably host this show and make a much better cupcake than I... but are you doing that? No. I think taking the approach of a self effacing attitude during the show really helps me to admit my flaws and come to terms with my backwards way of thinking. I often wonder why I'm doing this show- but it really is a learning experience for me (and hopefully you?). I mean, it's targeted toward college students- how many of you know what zesting a lemon is? Probably more than I think... Okay, what about making curd? Exactly. It's hard baking from scratch- but much more rewarding.






The Blue Velvet cupcake- just to clarify- consists mainly of the blackberry curd filling and lemon-blackberry cream cheese icing. The cupcake itself has almost no flavor, taken from a recipe from Cupcake Wars. I'm not sure why they'd make it this way... But I would have preferred some blackberries baked in or something! Oh well... My mom ended up loving them (they were for her birthday). We went to Joe's Crab Shack after I fed her these plump purple treats and split some salmon with a perfect view of the Ohio River and Cincinnati. I do love this city, but I hope it loves me enough to hire me when I graduate... I might bribe it with Skyline Chili cupcakes. But anyway... 


If you have suggestions for a cupcake flavor next week, e-mail me at stephanie.mathena@gmail.com 


And check out the second episode featuring July for Kings only on NorseMedia (which streams lives for those of you out of this world) 
 




http://norsemedia.nku.edu/  <<Watch.  It will be airing sometime within the next week.






Happy Back To School Amigos! (friends) 

-Steph

Blue Velvet Recipe

2 comments: